Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Painting cabinets

My room is taking shape and I am excited to get cabinets put in. We painted a valspar paint on the walls called butter. Yellow is hard to pick, and this is the perfect shade of yellow for me.  Not to bright, but still very happy.  I always paint my walls with an eggshell finish, and my trim with a satin finish. We decided to go with the unfinished stock cabinets for this room. I thought to myself, I will just paint them quickly and get them installed...no problem.  They are trickier than they look. I have painted so many finished cabinets in my day, and these are a little different.  First off, we had to sand the heck out of these babies.  Sand, sand, sand.  When they are smooth use a good primer. Paint one coat, then sand again. Paint another coat, sand, and then start painting your color.  I decided to go white with these cabinets. I know that there is special cabinet paint on the market, but I just went with a satin white wall paint that matched my trim color.  I wanted it to blend in with the trim, and look more like built ins. When I paint my cabinets, I always use a foam roller. It gives them a smooth spray like finish. I cut in with my brush, then roller with the roller. It may take a few more coats, but the lighter it goes on, the less drips you will have.
Here they are white, uninstalled. We added crown molding to the top of the uppers for a more high end look. I love how they turned out, for a fraction of the cost of custom cabinetry. Can't wait to show what is going to happen with that french door. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment